In October 2004, the League of American Bicyclists recognized the city as a bicycle-friendly community. The award was based on the city’s continued efforts to promote bicycling for recreation and transportation, to educate the community on bicycle safety and to provide residents with safe facilities for bicycling.
The city boasts:
- 53.5 miles of designated on-road bike routes.
- 11.6 miles of on-road, striped bicycle lanes.
- 22 miles of paved recreational paths.
- 10 miles of designated off-road paths on the Kansas River levee, located in East Lawrence.
- 29 miles of trails at Clinton Lake and additional off-road trails east of North Lawrence (along the Kansas River).
The article also discusses the heath benefits of recreational and transportational bicycling, as well as the support system of local bicycling clubs and groups. All in all, it’s a good overview of bicycling opportunities in Lawrence.
You can read the article by clicking these images to view larger versions:
Or you can view the PDF of the Activities Guide here (warning, it’s a large file!).
Post tags: Lawrence