The route for the second running of the Tour of Missouri, September 8th through the 14th, has been announced:
- St. Joseph to Kansas City: 90 miles
- Clinton to Springfield: 125 miles
- Branson: 18 miles (individual time trials)
- Lebanon to Rolla: 105 miles
- St. James to Jefferson City: 100 miles
- Hermann to St. Charles: 110 miles
- St. Louis: 75 miles (circuit race)
Compared to the first year’s event, the 2008 edition of this professional stage race adds new towns to the tour, as well as another day of racing. The race will cover 623 miles and feature 120 of the world’s top cyclists.
Last year’s Tour of Missouri featured 15 professional cycling teams, including the last American appearance of the Discovery Channel team, which included Tour de France winner Alberto Contador, U.S. National Champion Levi Leipheimer, and the eventual winner of the race, George Hincapie. The race produced an economic impact of more than $26 million for the state, as over 350,000 spectators turned out to watch the race, lining streets and roads all along the route.