Old Route 66 Park

Old Route 66 Park

Old Route 66 Park is a roadside park located between Baxter Springs, Kansas and Riverton, Kansas along historic Route 66 in southeast Kansas. The park is maintained by the National Park Service, and is supported by the Land and Water Conservation Fund, which "helps states and communities provide outdoor recreation and open space for all".

There is also a historical marker at the park, which commemorates the Baxter Springs Massacre of 1863, in which nearly a hundred men died in a Civil War battle.

Old Route 66 Park provides shelters, picnic tables, grills, trash cans, and ample grass and shade trees. There is no water, restrooms, or electricity.

Old Route 66 Park is located near both the Frontier Military Historic Byway and the Route 66 Historic Byway

Note: This is (apparently) an unofficial campsite, with no signage that explicitly allows or prohibits camping at this roadside park.

Web Site: No web site at this time.
Location: Baxter Springs, KS

Related Info:

Photos From Old Route 66 Park (3)

Old Route 66 Park - Entrance - This is the entrance sign for Old Route 66 Park, a roadside park located near Baxter Springs, Kansas along historic Route 66. Shown in the background is one of the many shelters and picnic tables in the park. Old Route 66 Park - Historical Marker - This Historical Marker at Old Route 66 Park commemorates the Baxter Springs Massacre:

On October 6, 1863, Gen. James Blunt and about 100 men were met near Baxter's springs by William Quantrill and several hundred Confederates masquerading as Union troops. As Blunt's band was preparing a musical salute the enemy fired. This surprise attack prevented organized resistance, and though Blunt escaped nine-tenths of his men were killed. The raiders also attacked Lt. James Pond and 95 men encamped at the springs. This force was likewise caught off guard but resisted until the enemy retired. These battle sites are in present Baxter Springs. Some of the victims are buried in the national cemetery one mile west of town. Baxter Springs was established in 1866 on the Fort Leavenworth-Fort Gibson military road. For several years it was important as a trading center for Texas cattle. Old Route 66 Park - National Parks Sign - This sign designates Old Route 66 Park to be administered by the National Park Service, and supported by the Land and Water Conservation Fund, which provides

Click on individual thumbnail images to view full-sized photos.

Last Update: April 3rd, 2013