Some years, with ice and snow and frigid temperatures, that important first ride of the year can prove elusive.
Not so this year. With mild weather in most of our region, the two-wheeled faithful once again saddled up and hit the road (or trail):
- cDude finished up his R-12 — riding a 200K or longer ride for 12 straight months — with a January 1st ride. Congratulations, Keith!
- Tailwind Cyclists in Pittsburg, KS put on their 8th annual New Year’s Day Century Ride
- In Salina, KS over 30 people participated in the 5th annual Red Eye Ride
- The Lawrence Mountain Bike Club hit the Lawrence River Trail for their annual New Year’s Day Ride
- The New Year’s Day Penguin Bike Ride took place at Shawnee Mission Park in Shawnee, KS.
- The Coasters Bicycle Club of Wichita held their 2nd annual New Years Day 2009 Dinner And Ride
- Ted of Controlled Chaos and friends did their First ride of the New Year at Minor Park in Kansas City
- TP of Wish you were here, don’t ya! met up with a few guys at 8:30 am on New Years day for a trail ride and other misadventures
- Shirley of Spinning My Wheels took a ride on the Katy Trail near Columbia, MO
- The Kansas City Bicycle Club held their Annual President’s Ride
- Brandon Harp decided to start 2009 off right with a 50-miler in Nebraska
- Steve Fuller and a number of other obsessed cyclists met on January 1st for the annual Degree Ride in Iowa
Me? The year didn’t start well, with a flat tire before the bike even emerged from the garage. However, the short 14-mile spin afterward, in 50+°F weather was pretty sweet!
What was your first ride of the year like?