As the calendar clicks over from 2009 to 2010, most of Kansas is covered with snow and frigid temperatures (see Kansas Weather), but that’s no reason to go into hibernation. Get out on your bike and ride!
Here are a few organized rides you can join on New Years Day or thereabouts:
- ‘Cross Off The Old Year, 2009-12-31 at Stump Park in Shawnee, Kansas
- LMBC New Year’s Day Ride, 2010-01-01 in Lawrence, Kansas – This annual Lawrence Mountain Bike Club ride takes place every year at noon on New Year’s Day at the Lawrence River Trails.
- New Year’s Day Penguin Bike Ride, 2010-01-01 – Bundle up and start the new year off right with a ride around the lake at Shawnee Mission Park in Lenexa, Kansas.
- Red Eye Bicycle Ride, 2010-01-01 at 2pm in Salina, Kansas
- Golden Belt Bicycle New Years Day Ride, 2010-01-01 in Great Bend, Kansas. Contact the Golden Belt Bicycle Company (620-793-7060) for details.
- KSS New Year’s Day Ride, 2010-01-01 at the Camp Horizon Trails near Arkansas City, Kansas. Contact the Kansas Singletrack Society for details.
- Tailwind New Year’s Day Ride, 2010-01-01 in Pittsburg, Kansas. Contact Tailwind Cyclists (620-231-2212) for details.
- Smithville Gravel Grinder, 2010-01-02 in Smithville, MO
- Epic Holiday Cyclocross, 2010-01-03 at Tuilleries in Kansas City, MO
No doubt there are others that I’m not aware of; check with your local bike shop or bike club, and they’ll get you set up!
And, as a heads-up, I’ll be leading a ride in the Guru’s Gravel Grinders series, January 17th out of Paola, Kansas, with about 45 miles of hills, plus a short segment on the Flint Hills Nature Trail. Hope to see you there! (Weather permitting, obviously.)