Rosedale Development Association, which is a not-for-profit community development corporation serving the Rosedale area of Kansas City, Kansas, is the first business in Kansas to earn the “silver” level Bicycle Friendly Business designation.
The Rosedale Development Association’s mission is to “work in partnership with residents, businesses, and institutions to build a strong and healthy community and to improve the quality of life for those who live, work, and play in Rosedale.”
The Rosedale Development Association is not only the first silver recipient, but they are also the first non-profit in the state to be designated.
Other Bicycle Friendly Businesses in Kansas include:
- Anderson Rentals, Inc., Lawrence, KS — Bronze 2011
- Big Poppi Bicycle Company, Manhattan, KS — Bronze Spring 2012
- Foth IE, Overland Park, KS — Bronze 2010
- City of Leawood City Hall, Leawood, KS — Honorable Mention Spring 2012
- City of Mission, Mission, KS — Honorable Mention 2010
- City of Shawnee, Shawnee, KS — Honorable Mention 2010
- Sprint Nextel, Overland Park, KS — Honorable Mention 2010
Other businesses in our region that received awards in this cycle include:
- REI Fort Collins, Fort Collins, CO — Gold
- RDG Planning & Design, Omaha, NE — Gold
- Big Shot Bikes, Fort Collins, IA — Silver
- Hottman Law Office, Golden, CO — Silver
- Mountain Bike Specialists, Durango, CO — Silver
- REI Denver, Denver, CO — Silver
- City of Colorado Springs, Colorado Springs, CO — Bronze
- Xilinx, Longmont, CO — Bronze
- Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Little Rock, AR — Honorable Mention
- Flat Tire Lounge, Madrid, IA — Honorable Mention
- Garver, Fayetteville, AR — Honorable Mention
- Waverly Health Center, Waverly, IA — Honorable Mention
No businesses in Missouri or Oklahoma made the cut this time.
Bicycle-friendly businesses “encourage a more bicycle friendly atmosphere for employees and customers.” Being bicycle-friendly is not only good for people, but good for business as well!
The Bicycle Friendly Business program awards designations at five levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond (with Diamond being the most bicycle-friendly).
If you own, work at, or are aware of, a bicycle-friendly business that has not yet been officially recognized, check out details of the Bicycle Friendly Business program. The program provides technical assistance and information to help companies and organizations become even better for bicyclists.