The following is a directory of bicycle camping resources in the state of Iowa, including both free and pay sites, concentrating on tent (primitive) campsites most appropriate for bicycle touring.
Note that most of these are not exclusively for bicycle camping; most are described as "tent camping", "primitive camping", or "backpacker camping". But all of these will accept campers traveling by bicycle, and offer a minimum of a place to pitch a tent. Other common amenities include restrooms, water, showers, picnic tables, etc.
Iowa Camping Destinations
- Iowa State Parks Camping – Learn about camping opportunities at Iowa State Parks. Most of the parks provide both modern (RV) and non-modern (primitive) campsites. Camping is permitted only in designated areas. All campers must register, and pay a fee, starting at $9 per night for a non-modern, non-electric site (less in the off-season). Brochure
- Iowa State Forests – Iowa has 10 state forests containing a total of 43,917 acres. Some provide campsites, all are primitive, and require a fee. Brochure
You'll need to research each destination to verify what services and amenities it may offer, and how much it may cost – many are free, but some require a minimal payment.
Iowa Camping Resources
- CampgroundsOnTheWeb.com – A guide to commercial campgrounds, cabins, and RV parks in Iowa.
- FreeCampsites.net – A directory of free and low-cost campsites in Iowa, primarily aimed at car camping and RV parking.
- FreeCampgrounds.net – A directory of free and low-cost campsites in Iowa, primarily aimed at RV'ers.
- GoCampingIowa.org – A "guide to the best of Iowa RV Parks and Campgrounds". Commercial campgrounds only.
- TripleBlaze – A ranking of the 100 "best" campgrounds in Iowa, with reviews.
Bicycle Camping Elsewhere in the Region
- Arkansas Bicycle Camping
- Colorado Bicycle Camping
- Kansas Bicycle Camping
- Missouri Bicycle Camping
- Nebraska Bicycle Camping
- Oklahoma Bicycle Camping
See Also: Bicycle Camping Resources By State – A nationwide directory of places for bicyclists to camp, in every state.