A message from Roxanne Wright of the Oz Bicycle Club of Wichita:
If you haven’t yet heard Cecile Kellenbarger passed away at home, Monday April 4, 2011. Cecile was involved in many bicycle related projects. There are too many to mention here. She will always be remembered for the Wicked Wind 100. I know John would like to see many OZ Bicycle Club members come to the service. This will be a time that we all can celebrate her life and all that she has done for the bicycling community.
Memorial Service for Cecile Kellenbarger
Where: Eberly Farm, 13111 West 21St Street North, Wichita, KS.
Time: 2:00 PM on Sunday April 10, 2011
Anyone wanting to ride their bicycles to the memorial can gather at Heartland Bicycle Shop at 12:30 PM. The distance from Heartland to Eberly Farm is about 12 miles. For more information call Delores Craig at 316.304.4428.
As Roxanne mentioned, Cecile was involved in a huge number of cycling organizations and events. Here are just a few that I’m aware of:
- KanBikeWalk – Cecile was a founding board member, serving as Treasurer from 2007-2010, and her knowledge and experience was instrumental in establishing KanBikeWalk as a non-profit advocacy organization.
- Cecile served on the Board of Directors of Sunflower Recreational Trails
- Cecile was a founding board member of Prairie Travelers, which has built the Prairie Sunset Trail in Wichita.
- Bike\Walk Alliance-Wichita
- Wicked Wind 100 – Cecile had been in charge of the Wicked Wind 100 since 2004, and had helped grow the event into one of the premier rides in Kansas.
- Oz Bicycle Club – Board of Directors in 2006-2007
- Walnut Valley Metric
- Wichita Ski Club – President 1994-95
Here is her obituary from the Wichita Eagle:
Cecile B. Kellenbarger
Kellenbarger, Cecile B., 55, Boeing Analyst, passed away Monday April 4, 2011. Memorial service 2 p.m., Sunday, April 10 at Eberly Farm, 13111 W. 21st, Wichita. Preceded in death by parents, Frank and Betty Kellenbarger. Survivors: husband, John Moore; step-mother, Dorothy Kellenbarger; brothers, Garth Kellenbarger of Wichita and Lance D. Kellenbarger (Trisha) of Derby, KS; step-daughter Shelly Padgett (Mike) of Hillsboro, KS; grandchildren, Camden and Connor Padgett; nieces and nephews; Lindsey, Ryan, Audrey, and Christopher Kellenbarger. A memorial has been established with Prairie Travelers, Inc. P.O. Box 781033, Wichita, KS, 67278-1033. Downing & Lahey Mortuary East. Tributes to the family via www.dlwichita.com.
Cecile did much to promote bicycling and trails in Wichita and Kansas as a whole. She will truly be missed.
Post tags: Wichita