With the year winding down, and riding conditions becoming more brutal, now is a good time to think about giving back a bit to our cycling community. One way to do this is to help with trailbuilding.
Most mountain bike trails (and many rails-to-trails project) are built and maintained by volunteers, who do this important work with little money or support, putting their own time and effort into building trails you can ride and enjoy year-round.
This post serves two purposes:
First, it’s a call-out to those groups and individuals who give selflessly to make the trails happen:
- Kansas Trails Council
- Kanza Rail-Trails Conservancy
- Prairie Travelers
- Sunflower Recreational Trails
- Central Kansas Mountain Bike Club
- Earth Riders Mountain Bike Club
- Kansas Singletrack Society
- Lawrence Mountain Bike Club
Secondly, there are some upcoming workdays where you can help:
- Wilson Lake (KS) — Saturday, November 22, 2008, 9:00 to 5:00, and Sunday, November 23, 2008, 9:00 to 12 noon
- Swope Trails (MO)
- Smithville Lake (MO) — 11-29, 12-27, 01-17, 02-21, 03-14, and 04-18
- Arkansas Freeride Society (AR) — Work party weekend on November 8th & 9th from 10:00am – 4:00pm.
- Gateway Off-Road Cyclists (MO)
- Trails Have Our Respect (NE) — THOR is looking for some new volunteers. No trail building or trail designing experience necessary. Just looking for folks who can organize a few trail days a year and have the desire to be in charge of some of the best trails in the area. Trail Leaders for 2009 will be assigned at the upcoming THOR annual meeting in January or February 2009.
If you ride, you need to work. Pitch in!