Since 1956, May has been recognized as National Bike Month. The third week in May is designated Bike to Work Week; and the third Friday of May is Bike to Work Day.
This annual celebration of bicycling is a great opportunity to not only ride to work yourself, but to introduce the joy of bikes to those who haven’t yet considered this form of transportation for themselves.
Andy Clarke, President of the League of American Bicyclists, said, “Biking to work is an efficient and fun way to get the exercise you need, without having to find extra time to work out.”
Communities around the nation offer special events during this month to promote bicycling. The following is a rundown of some of the festivities from around our region:
Kansas City’s festivities are known as Bike Week and take place May 17-21. Explore all things bicycle in Kansas City — commuting, racing, mountain biking, alley cat, recreation, etc. Take part in the Car-Free Challenge and see how many car trips you can replace with bicycling, walking, and transit. Form a team with your friends or co-workers, or go solo.
Note: These events encompass the entire KC metro area, including both the Kansas and Missouri sides of the city.
Lawrence proclaimed the month of May as Bike Month and the week of May 17-21 as Bike-To-Work Week.
Manhattan has proclaimed May 2-7 as “Manhattan Bike Week.” There’s a Bike Week Kick-Off Event on May 2nd at City Park, with recreational rides with Mayor Bruce Snead, and all week long the Commuter Challenge will let businesses find out who can log the highest percentage of employees biking to work between May 3rd and May 7th. The winning organization will win a free party sponsored by Tallgrass Brewery. Manhattan’s official Bike-to-Work Day is May 7th. Bike to work, and then bike over to City Park for a free lunch donated by local business and restaurants.
Reno County, Kansas
Reno County, Kansas (Hutchinson) is celebrating Reno County Bike to Work Day on May 14th. Anyone interested in biking to work are invited first to pedal to Hutchinson Clinic or DCI Park for breakfast before finishing their commute to work. Breakfast at both locations will be served from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Reno County Bike to Work Day also has a Facebook group.
The 2005 census labeled Wichita as one of the 10 worst cities for commuting by bicycle. Encouragement and participation in Bike to Work day on May 21st could help to lift that stigma. It will also help to educate both commuters on bike and in cars, on the benefits and safety required to change the Wichita community.
Bike Wichita is your complete source of information for Bike Month in the Wichita community, with info on local rides and events, bicycle safety, and promotional materials.
Elsewhere around the region:
- Iowa: The 7th Annual Bike to Work Week for Iowa is May 17-21, 2010. The purposes of Bike to Work Week is to encourage people to try bike commuting, increase cycling awareness and promote a healthy alternative form of transportation. Iowa’s Governor Culver has also endorsed this event by declaring May as “Bike Month”.
- Columbia, MO: Columbia’s Bike, Walk & Wheel Week 2010 is for everyone! Ride your bike to run an errand, walk up the street to visit a friend, or head out on the trail. It’s easy, it’s fun, and when you bike or walk, you help make Columbia a happier, healthier place. This year’s honorary chairperson is bicycling advocate Carl Edwards.
- Springfield, MO: Ozark Greenway’s Bike, Bus, Walk Week, May 17-21, includes an ArtWalk downtown on the square, plus the annual challenge, where you register your commitment to show your support for making Springfield a more bicycle/pedestrian friendly community.
- St. Louis, MO: In St. Louis, Trailnet is organizing a “Drive Your Bike Challenge”, continental breakfasts, and the during your bike commute to work on Friday, and the HOK Bike To Work Day Challenge with big prizes from Big Shark Bicycle Company and REI.
- Oklahoma City, OK: The Central Oklahoma Bike to Work Day is part of the national campaign to promote bicycling as a healthy and efficient transportation alternative. See also: Facebook page
- Tulsa, OK: Green Traveler organizes a Bike to Work Week May 17-21, with free events downtown, all week long.
- Missouri: A bill to create Bike Month and Walk/Bike to School Month as permanent holidays on the Missouri state calendar, passed the Missouri Senate.
Due to their slightly delayed seasons, Colorado’s Bike Month is June.
Note: Another annual event during bike month is the Ride of Silence to honor those cyclists killed or injured while riding their bicycle. We’ll cover those in a separate post at a later time…