The following are some hand-picked bicycling-related news items from Kansas and neighboring states, for January 23, 2013:
Bicycling News from Kansas
- The Kansas Department of Transportation is beginning the process of updating the state’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan, and one of the first public steps is to solicit input from Kansans, which they are doing in the form of an online survey.
- We have a new bike shop coming to the state! RevolveKC, which currently operates a community bike shop in Kansas City, Missouri, is planning to open a new shop 554 Central Avenue, in Kansas City, Kansas, in February.
- The Pittsburg city commission approved a “plan to apply for a Transportation Enhancement Program Grant that would help fund a new bike and hiking trail”. The new trail would be dubbed the “East-West Connector”, and “would follow Fourth Street west from Water Street to Schlanger Park, where it would travel through the park to the railroad crossing at Seventh Street. From there, it would follow Michigan Street until it reaches 12th Street, which it would then follow until it linked with the existing Watco Trail.”
- Sedgwick County Commissioners are considering supporting an application to use federal transportation enhancement funds to construct the Aviation Pathway from Wichita to Derby. The 3.61 miles pedestrian and bicycle path would start at MacArthur Rd. and Englewood St. in South Wichita and end at Buckner and Commerce Drive in Derby.
- In Hays, the Bike Hays Master Plan was presented during last weeks commission meeting. Hays city commissioners are looking to add bicycle lanes to the community. If the plan is passed, the city could see bike lanes as early as this summer.
- Early next month, a city task force will roll out a 10-year plan to benefit biking in Wichita. “On Feb. 5, a steering committee will make recommendations to the Wichita City Council on a 10-year, $12.5 million plan to enhance and connect bike paths around the city.”
- The Dirty Kanza 200 is going to be huge this year. Over 800 riders from 41 states had registered within the first few days of availability. The race is June 1st in Emporia.
Regional Bicycling News
- Fayetteville, AR: “Last month, city officials added a shared bicycle lane (sharrows) to Arkansas Avenue and Dickson Street. These two shared lanes serve as an extension to the Fayetteville Alternative Transportation and Trail Master Plan. City officials will continue to add shared lane symbols on certain streets around Fayetteville as they see fit. One of our major goals for the master plan is to be proactive in getting people out of their cars and into more efficient modes of travel such as a bicycle.”
- Jonesboro, AR: The Birdeye Bicycle Club is petitioning for a shoulder on Hwy 163, part of the Mississippi River Trail and the Crowley’s Ridge Parkway National Scenic Byway. Sign the petition.
- Windsor, CO: Bike plan to connect NoCo municipalities still in the works — “The North Front Range Metropolitan Planning Organization, or NFRMPO, is working to make bicycles work as regional transit options for commuters as well as part of the framework of their member municipalities. To that end, the NFRMPO has put together a preliminary regional plan to further connect Northern Colorado communities through bicycle paths.”
- Des Moines, IA: Des Moines in 2050? Tomorrow Plan offers glimpse of future — “Those who choose to live here will find an even more elaborate network of recreational trails, designed to complement the growing offerings of the DART bus service. The plan envisions more-dense housing, with people living on smaller lots but able to walk or ride a bike to shop or work.”
- Kansas City, MO: Go to kcmo.org/bikekc to request a copy of the new Kansas City Missouri bike map.
- Jackson County, MO: “Another round of planning charrettes is coming up to discuss sustainable development along the Rock Island corridor through the southeast part of the metro area. After years of planning, Jackson County is moving forward with a funding plan for a regional transit system that will include both a commuter rail line and a Katy Trail extension from Pleasant Hill to the Truman Sports Complex.” January 23rd in Unity Village, January 24th in Pleasant Hill.
Upcoming Kansas Bicycling Events
This coming weekend features two races: the Cancer-Thon in Leavenworth on Saturday, January 26th, and “Jeffs Flat Track” on January 27, part of the Blanket Series of central Kansas mountain bike races.
But personally, by mid-January each year, I only have one ride on my mind, and it actually won’t happen until the second week of June. Each year, Biking Across Kansas makes their annual route announcement on January 29th, known as “Kansas Day” to commemorate the state’s birthday.
Speculation among prospective riders is always rampant in the period leading up to the announcement. Which towns will host the 800+ cyclists during the week-long tour?
Let’s look back at the routes for the last few years:
- 2012: Sharon Springs, Oakley, Hoxie, Logan, Downs, Clyde, Centralia, Troy, Elwood
- 2011: Tribune, Scott City, Ness City, Hoisington, McPherson, Cottonwood Falls, Burlington, Garnett
- 2010: Goodland, Colby, Hill City, Osborne, Minneapolis, Herington, Osage City, Eudora, Leavenworth
- 2009: Syracuse, Garden City, Jetmore, St. John, Halstead, Eureka, Humboldt, Paola, Louisburg
Most of those are central and northern routes. It’s been quite a while since BAK has traversed a true southern route (2006), so that is perhaps a reasonable guess for the 2013 route…
Or maybe not! We shall see in a few days.
Upcoming Regional Bicycling Events
- Iowa: Hit the road Jack (frost) with four winter rides — Okoboji Winter Games Freeze Your Fanny Ride on Jan 26, Bike Ride to Rippey (BRR) on Feb 2, Ididaride on Feb 2, and Cedar Rapids Alternative to BRR, Frozen-A** Road Tour (CRAB FART) on Feb 16. Yay for winter bike fun!
- Nebraska: BRAN 33 Registration Is Open — BRAN (Bicycle Ride Across Nebraska) is June 2-8, 2013 starting in Kimball and ending at the Strategic Air & Space Museum near Ashland, with overnights in Chappell, Paxton, Gothenburg, Kearney, Aurora, Brainard.
- Bicycle Friendly Kansas — The latest information about bicycle friendly communities, bicycle friendly businesses, and bicycle friendly universities in Kansas.
- High Peaks Century — Event in Westcliffe, CO (09-14-2013)
- Beaver River Cycling — Bike Shop in Guymon, OK
- Mountain Top Cycling Club Experience Ride — Event in Florissant, CO (06-22-2013)
- Mountain Top Cycling Club — Bike Club in Florissant, CO
- Ride the Ridge 100 — Event in Wynne, AR (07-13-2013)
The Sunflower Cycling News is a periodic publication of Kansas Cyclist, featuring bicycling news from Kansas and neighboring states.
If you have a news item or upcoming event you’d like to share, please contact Kansas Cyclist with details.